Ferguson’s Hat Trick and Louria’s OT Goal Send RMU to AHC Finals

The #7 Robert Morris Colonials defeated the #3 Mercyhurst Lakers on Friday in overtime by the score of 5-4 and will now move on to face off against the #5 Air Force Falcons in the AHC Championship, a rematch of last year’s finals. The Colonial’s semifinal game was the absolute definition of a back and forth as the lead changed four times and the game featured four ties with neither team having more than a one goal lead.

The first period would go bye without much action outside of the physical play from both teams. There would be three penalties in the first period, two of them being on Mercyhurst. All three power plays would come and go without a goal, however with 51 seconds remaining in the first period Mercyhurst would get the first lead of the game with Kane Elliot scoring for the Lakers. The score now sit 1-0 and the first period would come to an end.

The second period would be exciting for Robert Morris as Brady Ferguson would lead the charge, scoring two goals in the second period. That first goal would come almost immediately into the second, just 4:44 in to be exact, and tie things up at 1-1. Just five minutes later Robert Morris’s star player would score his second goal of the game, giving the Colonials a 2-1 lead and their first lead of the game. Neither team would score a goal in the remaining 2nd period minutes, setting up a phenomenal third period that would see five of the games nine goals.

Looking to put Mercyhurst away, the Colonials came out flying. Neither team though would be able to score for the first eight minutes, but the two teams would combine for five in the final twelve minutes. That first one would be by Mercyhurst player Tayler Best, tying the game up at 2-2.
Daniel Mantenuto scored for Robert Morris three minutes later to make it 3-2 before Derek Barach and Joseph Duszak would each score a goal in the following two minutes to make it 4-3 Mercyhurst. When all hope seemed loss it was Brad Ferguson would would come through, tying the game with under a minute left to play. Francis Marotte would make an impressive pad save as time expired to send the game into overtime.

The two teams would trade shots and stay unprbalize for much of the overtime period. 6:42 into overtime, Michael Louria would score the game winning goal sending Robert Morris to the AHC finals with the final score 5-4.

The Colonials were relentless in this game and that attitude paid off as after four ties and three lead changes the team was able to pull out a victory in overtime. It’s this type of attitude that has gotten the #7 seeded Colonials all the way back to the finals to take revenge on the team that defeated them last year. That Championship game is on Saturday against Air Force.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Reporting breaking news from the world of professional sports. Featured on ESPN, CBS Sports and more. Did You See That?! If not, we did.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 7,853 other subscribers

Copyright © 2017 Did You See That?!. Powered by SportsMonger.

To Top