So, we are now 15 games into the season and the Pirates are still on top of the Central Division with an 11-4 record. They took 2 of 3 from the Cubs and then 2 of 3 from Miami. The Miami series started with the Pirate bats going cold, then by the third game of the series they started to wake up again. Here is a few week 2 Observations.
This was a week that included the Pirates being completely stumped by two Marlin Pitchers that couldn’t break glass with their fast balls. Hurdle vocalizing his disdain for Baez’s bat flip after he made an out with runners on base up 7 runs.
Gregory Polanco came into Miami, historically batting over .400 there. He came into the series batting over .300. He dropped over 80 points as he did not get his first hit until his last at bat on Sunday. Not crazy about Polanco batting 2nd.
Starling Marte started to heat up as the weather heated up. Marte would grab a hit on both Friday and Saturday and exploded on Sunday with 5 hits including a solo home run.
Josh Bell has just 1 home run, but has driven in 10 RBI and is batting .305. He is the best clean up hitter the Pirates have had in years.
Harrison left the game today with an apparent hand or wrist injury after being struck there with a pitch. They are a better team with him in the lineup, but if I had a choice of him batting leadoff or not in the game at all… I honestly would have to think about it. Facing two pitchers in baseball in Miami, he chose to hit the first pitch he sees on Sunday and the second pitch on Saturday. He has no patience whatsoever.
- Jameson Taillon is better than Gerrit Cole… the numbers bare that out. .89 ERA with a 2-0 record, Cole 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA.
- The Pirates Starting Pitchers are the only staff in Baseball that have had every starter pitch 5 innings or more in each and every game. #Reliable
- Pirates Bullpen Getting Better…
- The Artist formerly known as Rivero is the best closer in baseball
- Clint Hurdle’s obsession with JayHay as leadoff hitter might be one of the most square peg in round hole situations in baseball. Stop it please!!!!
- The longer they play this well, the more they will believe this can continue
- Corey Dickerson Might be the biggest pickup in Baseball If not the GOAT!
- “The Fort” is an amazing addition to the pre and post game shows on AT&T Sports Network.
- The Pirates are Never Losing a Series Again…. Wins and Splits only.
- Trevor Williams is one of the best 10 or 12 pitchers in Baseball… currently. With a 1.56 ERA and a 3-0 record, he has turned into a solid #2 behind Taillon.
- The Pirates Are making you forget about the moves they “DID NOT” make.
The Pirates host The Rockies and then then travel to play the Phillies this weekend. The Rockies are 9-8 thus far this season and will be coming to Pittsburgh and will end up having to deal with playing in the cold on Monday and Tuesday as Pittsburgh is expecting rain, low 40’s and then snow Monday into Tuesday and more 40’s. It is expected to warm up on Wednesday.
The Phillies are 9-5 and 8-2 in their last 10 games including 5-1 at home. They are playing well and it will not be an easy 4 game set for the Bucs. They can pitch and have a 21 run differential currently. This week will be the Pirates Biggest test of the young season.